The angelsharks are a group of sharks in the genus Squatina in the family Squatinidae, which are unusual in having flattened bodies and broad pectoral fins that give them a strong resemblance to rays. Most species inhabit shallow temperate or tropical seas, but a few species inhabit deeper water, down to 1,300 m (4,300 ft). Angelsharks are sometimes called monkfish, although this name is also applied to members of the genus Lophius. They bury themselves in sand or mud lying in wait for prey, which includes fish, crustaceans and various types of molluscs. It usually resides in depths of 1–200 m and can be seen on the muddy or soft bottom substrate where they can easily blend in as they lie on the bottom. Although this shark is a bottom-dweller and appears harmless, it can inflict painful lacerations if provoked, due to its powerful jaws and sharp teeth. These sharks have a unique way of breathing compared to most other benthic fish. They do not pump out water from the oropharyngeal cavity like other fish. Instead, they use gill flaps located under their body to pump out water during respiration. Doing so also allows them to be more discreet and prevent detection. Credit: Wikipedia.
- Colossians 1:9 Tuesday, 12 November, 2019“For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,”
Mesa Verde National Park
Most Viewed Posts Today
Search This Blog
- above the lawIf someone is above the law, they are not subject to the laws of a society.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. Lao-Tze (601 – Unknown).
- Watch - Dengue in Asia and the Pacific Islands Wednesday, 30 October, 2019Dengue is a risk in many parts of Asia and the Pacific Islands. Some countries are reporting increased numbers of cases of the disease. Travelers to Asia and the Pacific Islands can protect themselves by preventing mosquito bites.
- Alert - Ebola in Democratic Republic of the Congo Tuesday, 29 October, 2019There is an outbreak of Ebola in the North Kivu (Kivu Nord) and Ituri provinces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- Bolivia - Level 3: Reconsider Travel Friday, 8 November, 2019Reconsider travel to Bolivia due to civil unrest. Read the entire Travel Advisory. There are recurring demonstrations, strikes, roadblocks, and marches in major cities in Bolivia. Demonstrations and marches are centered on city plazas and major thoroughfares. Roadblocks and strikes cut off traffic on main avenues, highways between cities, and airport access and egress. Protestors […]
- Chile - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution Friday, 8 November, 2019Exercise increased caution in Chile due to civil unrest. Read the entire Travel Advisory and Travel Alerts. There have been large-scale demonstrations in Santiago and other major cities in Chile. Demonstrations can take place with little or no notice. Many protests occur with little regard for public safety, and have resulted in property damage, looting, […]
THE FLAG OF THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA: It consists of a red field with a blue canton bearing a white disc with twelve triangles surrounding it. The twelve rays of the white Sun symbolize the twelve months and the twelve traditional shichen, a unit of time which corresponds to two modern hours. Blue represents nationalism and liberty; White represents democracy and equality; and Red represents the people’s livelihood and fraternity. The national flag is enshrined in the sixth article of the Constitution of the Republic of China when it was promulgated in 1947.
- India Tuesday, 12 November, 2019Health section and summary - updated information on air pollution; Summary - removal of information on cyclonic storm BulbulGOV.UK
- Israel Tuesday, 12 November, 2019Summary - on 12 November 2019 a number of rockets were launched from Gaza. An emergency situation has been declared in Southern Israel. You should keep up to date with the news and this travel advice while travelling.GOV.UK
- NASA TV Coverage Set for Complex Spacewalks, Briefings Thursday, 7 November, 2019Two astronauts will venture outside the International Space Station for a series of complex spacewalks this month and next to repair the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS), a cosmic ray detector.