Viburnum is a genus of about 150–175 species of shrubs or small trees in the moschatel family, Adoxaceae. Its current classification is based on molecular phylogeny. It was previously included in the family Caprifoliaceae. The member species are native throughout the temperate Northern Hemisphere, with a few species extending into tropical montane regions in South America, Ukraine, Russia, and South East Asia. In Africa, the genus is confined to the Atlas Mountains. The leaves are opposite, simple, and entire, toothed or lobed; cool temperate species are deciduous, while most of the warm temperate species are evergreen. Some species are densely hairy on the shoots and leaves, with star-shaped hairs. The flowers are produced in corymbs 5–15 cm across, each flower white to cream or pink, small, 3–5 mm across, with five petals, strongly fragrant in some species. Some species also have a fringe of large, showy sterile flowers around the perimeter of the corymb to act as a pollinator target. The fruit is a spherical, oval, or somewhat flattened drupe, red to purple, blue, or black, and containing a single seed; some are edible for humans, but many others are mildly poisonous. Credit: Wikipedia.
- Psalm 94:18-19 Friday, 23 August, 2019“When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, LORD, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
Lake Clark National Park
Most Viewed Posts Today
- Will The Italian Earthquakes Destroy Florence’s Art Heritage posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 | under Environment
- Saint-Tropez’s Low Key Little Sister Sainte-Maxime, France posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 | under Humanities
- The Moons of Uranus posted on Friday, 29 May, 2015 | under Astronomy
Search This Blog
- jump down your throat | jump all over youIf someone jumps down your throat, or jumps all over you, they strongly criticise you or scold you.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: No man can become rich without himself enriching others. Andrew Carnegie (1835 – 1919).
- Watch - Malaria in Burundi Thursday, 22 August, 2019There is a malaria epidemic in Burundi, a country in central Africa. To prevent malaria infection, travelers should take prescription medicine and take steps to prevent mosquito bites.
- Alert - Polio in Burma (Myanmar) Wednesday, 21 August, 2019There is a polio outbreak in Burma (Myanmar). CDC recommends that all travelers to Burma (Myanmar) be vaccinated fully against polio.
- Chile - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Friday, 23 August, 2019Exercise normal precautions in Chile. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Chile: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter Review the […]
- Hungary - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Thursday, 22 August, 2019Exercise normal precautions in Hungary. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Hungary: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Review the […]
THE FLAG OF SOMALIA: Adopted on October 12, 1954, the five-pointed white Star of Unity in its centre represents the areas where the Somali ethnic group has traditionally resided, namely Djibouti, Somaliland, the Ogaden region in Ethiopia, the North Eastern Province in Kenya, and southern Somalia. The light blue backdrop was influenced by the flag of the United Nations, in recognition of the UN’s role in Somalia’s transition to independence. It now officially denotes the sky as well as the Gulf of Aden, Guardafui Channel and the Somali Sea, which flank the country.
- Bahamas Friday, 23 August, 2019Summary - update to information on the availablity of consular supportGOV.UK
- Taiwan Friday, 23 August, 2019Summary - addition of information on Tropical storm Bailu that is forecast to affect the South of Taiwan from Saturday 24th August onwards, though may not make landfall; you should exercise due caution and monitor local news and weather reportsGOV.UK
- NASA Invites Media to Silicon Valley Center for Celebration of Women Leaders Friday, 23 August, 2019Media are invited to join NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine, astronaut Megan McArthur and several special guests, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Rep. Anna Eshoo, for a Women's Equality Day event Monday, Aug. 26 at NASA's Ames Research Center in California’s Silicon Valley.
- NASA TV to Air US Cargo Ship Departure from Space Station Thursday, 22 August, 2019Filled with almost 2,700 pounds of valuable scientific experiments and other cargo, a SpaceX Dragon resupply spacecraft is set to leave the International Space Station Tuesday, Aug. 27. NASA Television and the agency’s website will broadcast its departure live beginning at 10:15 a.m. EDT.