Rubha nan Gall lighthouse is located north of Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, off the western Scottish coast. The name means “Stranger’s Point” in Scottish Gaelic. It was built in 1857 by David and Thomas Stevenson and is operated by the Northern Lighthouse Board. The lighthouse was automated in 1960 and the nearby former keepers’ cottages are privately owned. In August 2013, the former keepers’ cottages were sold and after extensive renovation work, one is a private home and the other is a self-catering cottage (left of the lighthouse). Access is by sea or a 1.3 miles (2.1 km) footpath from Tobermory along the steeply wooded coastline. The cottages have no mains electricity or water; instead, a private spring supplies water, while an off-grid solar system provides power. The Rubha nan Gall cottage is just one of ten travel discoveries mentioned in this article; read the rest in the link below.
Read Article Here: