Translate This Blog:
- Hebrews 10:35-36 Monday, 24 September, 2018“So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.”
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Most Viewed Posts
- UY Scuti, The Largest Known St... posted on Friday, 7 October, 2016 | under Astronomy
- Crater Lake National Park posted on Sunday, 5 November, 2017 | under Humanities
- 6 Volcanoes Scientists Are Wat... posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 | under Earth Science
- How Do Fizzy Drinks Affect You... posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 | under Medicine
- Facial Disfigurement And Disab... posted on Monday, 27 July, 2015 | under Humanitarian
Search This Blog
Quote of the Week
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality. Ayn Rand (1905-1982)
Bits & Pieces of World NewsMy Tweets
The Impact of Hidden Plastic
Astronomy Picture of the Day
NGC 6188 and NGC 6164.
Image Credit & Copyright: Marco Lorenzi (Glittering Lights). Fantastic shapes lurk in clouds of glowing hydrogen gas in NGC 6188. The emission nebula is found near the edge of a large molecular cloud, unseen at visible wavelengths, in the southern constellation Ara, about 4,000 light-years away. Massive, young stars of the embedded Ara OB1 association were formed in that region only a few million years ago, sculpting the dark shapes and powering the nebular glow with stellar winds and intense ultraviolet radiation. The recent star formation itself was likely triggered by winds and supernova explosions, from previous generations of massive stars, that swept up and compressed the molecular gas. Joining NGC 6188 is rare emission nebula NGC 6164, also created by one of the region's massive O-type stars. Similar in appearance to many planetary nebulae, NGC 6164's symmetric gaseous shroud and faint halo surround its bright central star at the upper right. The field of view spans 70 light years at the estimated distance of NGC 6188.
- Houston Medical Students to Speak Live with NASA Astronaut on Space Station Friday, 21 September, 2018Medical students from The University of Texas Health Sciences Center (UTHealth) in Houston will speak with an astronaut aboard the International Space Station next week.
- NASA Seeking Partner in Contest to Name Next Mars Rover Friday, 21 September, 2018NASA has a class assignment for corporations, nonprofits and educational organizations involved in science and space exploration: partner with the agency to inspire future engineers and scientists by sponsoring a contest to name the next rover to venture to the Red Planet.
The Human Brain
Insulin while regulating blood sugar in the human body is also responsible for better memory.
- Asian-Americans more likely to be hired to lead troubled companies Monday, 24 September, 2018Stereotypes that Asian-Americans are self-sacrificing may play a role, study finds.
- 3 ways to be a more sustainable coffee drinker Wednesday, 19 September, 20183 ways you can help ensure the future of coffee.Bambi Semroc
The Kachin people are a confederation of ethnic groups who inhabit the Kachin Hills in northern Burma's Kachin State and neighbouring Yunnan Province, China, and Arunachal Pradesh, India. About one million Kachin peoples live in the region. The term Kachin people is often used interchangeably with the main subset, called the Jingpo people in China. The Jingpho language common to many of the Kachin has a variety of dialects and is written with a Latin-based script created in the late nineteenth century.
- Watch - Leptospirosis in Israel Friday, 14 September, 2018There is an outbreak of leptospirosis in northern Israel (Golan Heights). Travelers at highest risk are those exposed to contaminated fresh water like lakes and rivers in the affected area, such as through swimming, wading, kayaking, or rafting.
- Civilian casualties soar in Yemen's Hodeidah since devastating offensive began Monday, 24 September, 2018Source: Save the Children Country: Yemen As world leaders gather in New York for the UN General Assembly, Save the Children is warning that the battle for the strategic port city is endangering the lives of thousands of children. As world leaders gather in New York for the UN General Assembly, Save the Children is […]
National Flag of Mongolia
The flag of Mongolia is a vertical tricolour with two reds at insides and a blue in the middle, with the Soyombo symbol defacing the left red stripe. The blue stripe is described as the eternal blue sky and the red stripes symbolise thriving forever. The Soyombo symbol is a geometric abstraction that represents fire, sun, moon, earth, water, and a round shape as dualist aspect. The current flag was adopted on February 12, 1992, after the transition of Mongolia to a liberal democracy.
- Honduras - Level 3: Reconsider Travel Thursday, 20 September, 2018Reconsider travel to Honduras due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory. Do not travel to: Gracias a Dios Department due to crime. Violent crime, such as homicide and armed robbery, is common. Violent gang activity, such as extortion, violent street crime, rape, and narcotics and human trafficking, is widespread. Local police […]
- Macao Monday, 24 September, 2018Latest update: Summary - removal of information on Tyhpoon MangkhutGOV.UK
Work of Art
The Elgin Marbles, also known as the Parthenon Marbles, are a collection of Classical Greek marble sculptures made under the supervision of the architect and sculptor Phidias and his assistants in c. 447 to 438 BC; originally part of the temple of the Parthenon and other buildings on the Acropolis of Athens. From 1801 to 1812, agents of Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin removed about half of the surviving sculptures of the Parthenon, and transported them to Britain. The half not removed is now displayed in the Acropolis Museum. In Britain, the acquisition of the collection was not supported by some, and the Earl's actions was likened to vandalism. Following a public debate in Parliament and its subsequent exoneration of Elgin, he sold the Marbles to the British government in 1816. They were then passed to the British Museum, where they are now on display in the purpose-built Duveen Gallery.
- esprit de corpsA feeling of pride and comradeship shared by members of a group such as a military unit or a sports team.
Pray for Christian Refugees in Thailand
MONTAGNARD REFUGEES ARRESTED. Click on the image to read more.