Credits: The Guardian, National Geographic Society.
Translate This Website Into Your Language
Afrikaans Albanian Amharic Arabic Armenian Azerbaijani Basque Belarusian Bengali Bosnian Bulgarian Catalan Cebuano Chichewa Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Traditional) Corsican Croatian Czech Danish Dutch English Esperanto Estonian Filipino Finnish French Frisian Galician Georgian German Greek Gujarati Haitian Creole Hausa Hawaiian Hebrew Hindi Hmong Hungarian Icelandic Igbo Indonesian Irish Italian Japanese Javanese Kannada Kazakh Khmer Korean Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kyrgyz Lao Latin Latvian Lithuanian Luxembourgish Macedonian Malagasy Malay Malayalam Maltese Maori Marathi Mongolian Myanmar (Burmese) Nepali Norwegian Pashto Persian Polish Portuguese Punjabi Romanian Russian Samoan Scottish Gaelic Serbian Sesotho Shona Sindhi Sinhala Slovak Slovenian Somali Spanish Sudanese Swahili Swedish Tajik Tamil Telugu Thai Turkish Ukrainian Urdu Uzbek Vietnamese Welsh Xhosa Yiddish Yoruba Zulu
- 1 John 1:9 Monday, 25 March, 2019“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
Isle Royale National Park
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light. Aristotle (384 – 322 BC).
Most Viewed Posts Today
Search This Blog
Safely Explore This Blog
Current Bits & Pieces of News
THE HUMAN BRAIN: The cerebral cortex in humans is one of the most evolved and complex among all animal species. It’s not only bigger, but it’s also rolled and folded back over itself, forming grooves and folds which gives it that characteristic wrinkled appearance. The human encephalon weighs about 1.4-1.5 kilos, and has a volume of about 1130 cc in women and 1260 cc in men.
- Warning - Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe Friday, 22 March, 2019Parts of Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe have been severely affected by Tropical Cyclone Idai. US residents should avoid nonessential travel to Beira City and the surrounding area in Mozambique. Travelers to other affected parts of Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe should take steps to prevent illness and injury.
- Alert - Drug-Resistant Infections in Patients Who Had Weight-Loss Surgery in Mexico Friday, 15 March, 2019Some US residents returning from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, have been diagnosed with infections caused by an antibiotic-resistant form of Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteria. (weight loss surgery, bariatric, Tijuana, Mexico, Grand View Hospital, VIM, carbapenemase)
ASTRONOMY PHOTO OF THE DAY: The Red Rectangle Nebula. Credit: ESA, Hubble, NASA. The Red Rectangle nebula lies 2,300 light years towards the constellation of the Unicorn (Monoceros). At its centre is an aging binary star system that powers the nebula. The unusual shape is likely due to a thick dust torus which pinches the otherwise spherical outflow into tip-touching cone shapes, with the outflow occurring in fits and starts. In a few million years, as one of the central stars becomes further depleted of nuclear fuel, it will likely bloom into a planetary nebula.
- NASA Updates Spacewalk Assignments, Announces Final Preview Briefing Monday, 25 March, 2019With the first in a series of three spacewalks successfully completed at the International Space Station, NASA has updated astronaut assignments for the remaining two spacewalks and will preview the third in an upcoming news conference on NASA Television and the agency’s website.
- NASA Television to Broadcast Fifth Meeting of the National Space Council Monday, 25 March, 2019NASA Television and the agency’s website will provide live coverage of the fifth meeting of the National Space Council starting at 1 p.m. EDT Tuesday, March 26.
Black Spider Monkey
- Indonesian province leaps ahead in conservation Monday, 25 March, 2019The government of the province of West Papua announced legislation establishing it as Indonesia’s first “conservation province.”Olivia DeSmit
- Protecting Africa’s oceans to secure our futures Wednesday, 20 March, 2019Jessica Donovan-Allen, senior director of Conservation International Liberia, discusses why ocean conservation is vital in western Africa.Jessica Donovan-Allen
IMAGO DEI: The Chakmas are an ethnic group in the eastern region of the Indian subcontinent, who are distributed throughout Arunachal Pradesh, Tripura, Assam, Mizoram, Meghalaya and West Bengal of modern-day India and in Chittagong Hill Tracts of modern-day Bangladesh. They are divided into 46 clans and have their own language, customs, and culture. They practice Theravada Buddhism.
- Central African Republic - Level 4: Do Not Travel Monday, 25 March, 2019Do not travel to Central African Republic (CAR) due to crime and civil unrest. Violent crime, such as armed robbery, aggravated battery, and homicide, is common. Large areas of the country are controlled by armed groups who regularly kidnap, injure, and/or kill civilians. In the event of unrest, airport, land border, and road closures may […]
- French Polynesia - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Monday, 25 March, 2019Exercise normal precautions in French Polynesia. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to French Polynesia: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and […]
THE FLAG OF PORTUGAL: The flag is a rectangular bicolour with a field unevenly divided into green on the hoist, and red on the fly. The lesser version of the national coat of arms (i.e. armillary sphere and Portuguese shield) is centred over the colour boundary at equal distance from the upper and lower edges. On 30 June 1911, less than a year after the downfall of the constitutional monarchy, this design was officially adopted. The green and red represent the hope of the nation (green) and the blood of those who died defending it.
WORK OF ART: American Gothic is a 1930 painting by Grant Wood in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. The painting depicted the American Gothic House in Eldon, Iowa, along with “the kind of people I fancied should live in that house;” a farmer standing beside a woman who has been interpreted to be his sister. The figures were modelled by Wood’s sister, Nan Wood Graham, and their dentist, Dr Byron McKeeby. American Gothic is one of the most familiar images in 20th-century American pop art scene.
- at the drop of a hatIf you do something at the drop of a hat, you do it immediately, without preparation or planning.