Translate This Blog:
- Ephesians 4:29 Wednesday, 19 September, 2018“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Most Viewed Posts
- How Do Fizzy Drinks Affect Your Health? posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 | under Medicine
- Great Barrier Reef Potential Life Support System Identified posted on Thursday, 30 November, 2017 | under Earth Science
- Ville Rose Toulouse City Guide posted on Thursday, 17 August, 2017 | under Humanities
- How To Thrive In The Last Days posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2018 | under Reflections From Scripture
- Crater Lake National Park posted on Sunday, 5 November, 2017 | under Humanities
Search This Blog
Quote of the Week
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832)
Bits & Pieces of World NewsMy Tweets
Typhoon Mangkhut Devastation in the Philippines
Astronomy Picture of the Day
Cosmic Collision Forges Galactic Ring.
Image Credit: X-ray: Chandra (NASA, CXC, INAF, A. Wolter et al.); Optical: Hubble (NASA, STScI). The rim of the blue galaxy on the right is an immense ring-like structure 150,000 light years in diameter composed of newly formed, extremely bright, massive stars. AM 0644-741 was caused by an immense galaxy collision. When galaxies collide, they pass through each other - their individual stars rarely come into contact. The ring-like shape is the result of the gravitational disruption caused by an entire small intruder galaxy passing through a large one. When this happens, interstellar gas and dust become condensed, causing a wave of star formation to move out from the impact point like a ripple across the surface of a pond. The likely intruder galaxy is on the left of this image. X-ray light is shown in pink and depicts places where energetic black holes or neutron stars, likely formed shortly after the galaxy collision, reside.
- NASA Hosts Science Chat on Upcoming Historic Planetary Encounter Monday, 17 September, 2018Members of NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft team will host a Science Chat at 1 p.m. EDT Wednesday, Sept. 19, on humanity’s farthest planetary flyby, scheduled to occur Jan. 1 when the spacecraft encounters a mysterious object in the Kuiper Belt nicknamed “Ultima Thule.”
- NASA Names Holly Ridings New Chief Flight Director Monday, 17 September, 2018NASA has named Holly Ridings its new chief flight director, making her the first woman to lead the elite group that directs human spaceflight missions from the Mission Control Center at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston.
- MarCO Makes Space for Small Explorers Thursday, 13 September, 2018A pair of NASA CubeSats flying to Mars are opening a new frontier for small spacecraft.
- Martian Skies Clearing over Opportunity Rover Tuesday, 11 September, 2018As the skies above Opportunity continue to clear, engineers at JPL are increasing the frequency of commands asking the solar-powered rover to communicate with Earth.
The Human Brain
Insulin while regulating blood sugar in the human body is also responsible for better memory.
- Resources available for a public health approach to suicide Wednesday, 19 September, 2018The federally funded Suicide Prevention Resource Center offers training, publications and more.
- APA fellow unlocks consumer shopping behavior Wednesday, 19 September, 2018Yarrow predicts the retailers who survive will be those who appreciate their shoppers’ potent desire for an engaging and validating experience in the marketplace.
- In case you missed it: 3 big stories from our world Monday, 17 September, 2018Human Nature shares three stories from the past week that you should know about.Olivia DeSmit
- Cutting global emissions in half by 2030? With new roadmap, it’s possible Thursday, 13 September, 2018A new report says drastically reducing emissions is the only way to stop climate change in time.Olivia DeSmit
The Khasi people (Children of the Seven Huts) are an indigenous ethnic group of Meghalaya in north-eastern India, with a significant population in the bordering state of Assam, and in certain parts of Bangladesh. They are the native people of Meghalaya and are the largest ethnic group in the state. Their language, Khasi, is categorised as the northernmost Austroasiatic language. The main crops produced by the Khasi people are betel leaf, areca nut, oranges, local rice and vegetables.
- Watch - Ebola in Democratic Republic of the Congo Friday, 14 September, 2018There is an outbreak of Ebola in North Kivu (Kivu Nord) and Ituri provinces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- Watch - Leptospirosis in Israel Friday, 14 September, 2018There is an outbreak of leptospirosis in northern Israel (Golan Heights). Travelers at highest risk are those exposed to contaminated fresh water like lakes and rivers in the affected area, such as through swimming, wading, kayaking, or rafting.
- MSF cautiously optimistic about security in Bangassou, CAR Wednesday, 19 September, 2018Source: Médecins Sans Frontières Country: Central African Republic MSF's Assistant Medical Coordinator says: "We returned under one condition: that all parties accept and adhere to humanitarian principles and allow access to our services for all in need."In November 2017 a series of security incidents forced Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) to evacuate our team from Bangassou, […]
- ECOWAS calls for greater coordination to address security and development challenges in Sahel Wednesday, 19 September, 2018Source: ECOWAS Country: World Leaders reiterated their commitment to addressing terrorism, climate change, poverty, food insecurity and illicit trafficking by harmonizing their approaches and improving coordination.Abuja, 18th September 2018. The Commission of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) along with regional and international organizations, have reiterated their commitment to addressing challenges such as […]
National Flag of Monaco
The national flag of Monaco has two equal horizontal bands of red (top) and white, both of which have been the heraldic colours of the House of Grimaldi since at least 1339. The present bicolour design was adopted on April 4, 1881, under Prince Charles III. The flag of Monaco is graphically identical to the flag of Indonesia, with a slight difference only in its dimension ratio. The Flag of Poland has similar dimensions but has the colours reversed: white on top and red on the bottom.
- Norway - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Thursday, 13 September, 2018Exercise normal precautions in Norway. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Norway: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Review the […]
- South Africa - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution Wednesday, 12 September, 2018Exercise increased caution in South Africa due to crime, civil unrest, and drought. Violent crime, such as armed robbery, rape, carjacking, mugging, and "smash-and-grab" attacks on vehicles, is common. There is a higher risk of violent crime in the central business districts of major cities after dark. Demonstrations, protests, and strikes occur frequently. These can […]
- South Korea Wednesday, 19 September, 2018Latest update: - Summary, Safety and security (Road Travel) and Local Laws and Customs section – addition of information on the new Korean Traffic Law (with effect from 28 September)GOV.UK
- USA Wednesday, 19 September, 2018Latest update: Summary - revised information following Hurricane Florence; during the rescue and recovery period you should follow the advice of local authoritiesGOV.UK
Work of Art
Designed by Alma Pihl, the only female and one of the best known Fabergé workmasters, as a gift to Maria Feodorovna by her son, Tsar Nicholas II, in 1913. The exterior of the egg resembles frost and ice crystals formed on clear glass. It is studded with 1,660 diamonds and is made from quartz, platinum, and orthoclase. The surprise is a miniature flower basket studded with 1,378 diamonds and is made from platinum and gold, while the flowers are made of white quartz and the leaves are made of demantoid. The flowers lie in gold moss. The egg is 102 millimetres high. It was reported that the buyer was Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the Emir of Qatar, who paid $9.6 million in 2002.
- ignorance is blissYou can say "ignorance is bliss" when you want to say that not knowing about something unpleasant can be better than knowing about it and worrying about it.
Pray for Christians in Kenya
AL-SHABAAB EXECUTED TWO BUS PASSENGERS WHO WERE BELIEVERS. Click on the image to read more.