Translate This Blog:
- Matthew 19:14 Monday, 23 July, 2018“Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.””
Grand Teton National Park
Most Viewed Posts
- How Do Fizzy Drinks Affect Your Health? posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 | under Medicine
- The Great Pacific Garbage Patch posted on Saturday, 24 March, 2018 | under Environment
- Lucky House, Hong Kong’s Coffin Homes posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 | under Humanitarian
- What Is An Uppgivenhetssyndrom? posted on Thursday, 30 March, 2017 | under Psychology
- UN Commits To Stop Ocean Plastic Waste posted on Thursday, 7 December, 2017 | under Environment
Search This Blog
Bits & Pieces of World NewsMy Tweets
Astronomy Picture of the Day
Planck Maps the Microwave Background.
Image Credit: European Space Agency, Planck Collaboration. What is our universe made of? To help find out, ESA launched the Planck satellite from 2009 to 2013 to map, in unprecedented detail, slight temperature differences on the oldest optical surface has known - the background sky when our universe first became transparent to light. Visible in all directions, this cosmic microwave background is a complex tapestry that could only show the hot and cold patterns observed were the universe to be composed of specific types of energy that evolved in specific ways. The final results, reported last week, confirm again that most of our universe is mostly composed of mysterious and unfamiliar dark energy, and that even most of the remaining matter-energy is strangely dark. Additionally, the "final" 2018 Planck data impressively peg the age of the universe at about 13.8 billion years and the local expansion rate called the Hubble constant - at 67.4 (+/- 0.5) km/sec/Mpc.
- NASA Brings Latest Aerospace Technologies to AirVenture 2018 Friday, 20 July, 2018Visitors to AirVenture Oshkosh 2018 can get a close look at the latest in NASA aerospace technology during the Experimental Aircraft Association’s annual airshow Monday, July 23, through Sunday, July 29, at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
- 'Storm Chasers' on Mars Searching for Dusty Secrets Thursday, 19 July, 2018Scientists with NASA's Mars orbiters have been waiting years for an event like the current Mars global dust storm.
The Human Brain
If you starve your brain for oxygen for five minutes, the brain may get damaged.
- Psychologist explores what dogs can teach us about our own evolutionary past Friday, 20 July, 2018A conversation with of the head of the Duke Canine Cognition Center.
The Sarcastic Fringehead
- Bird-watchers spot illegal hunting in China Thursday, 19 July, 2018When the spoon-billed sandpiper started to disappear, bird-watching groups in China decided they needed to do something about illegal hunting.Morgan Lynch
The Rikbaktsa are an indigenous ethnic group from the Mato Grosso region of Brazil. Their traditional territory spanned 50,000 km² of Juruena River basin, stretching from the Papagaio River in the south to the Augusto Falls on the upper Tapajós River in the north. Their territory was bounded on the west by the Aripuanã River and on the east by the Arinos River, near the Peixes River.
- Green earthquake alert (Magnitude 5.9M, Depth:10km) in Central Mid-Atlantic Ridge 23/07/2018 10:36 UTC, No people within 100km. Monday, 23 July, 2018On 7/23/2018 10:36:00 AM, an earthquake occurred in Central Mid-Atlantic Ridge potentially affecting No people within 100km. The earthquake had Magnitude 5.9M, Depth:10km.
- Alert - Polio in Papua New Guinea Wednesday, 18 July, 2018There is an outbreak of polio in Papua New Guinea. CDC recommends that all travelers to Papua New Guinea be fully vaccinated against polio.
National Flag of the Malta
The flag of Malta is a basic bi-colour, with white in the hoist and red in the fly. A representation of the George Cross, awarded to Malta by George VI of the United Kingdom in 1942, is carried, edged with red, in the canton of the white stripe. It was first flown on 1 September 1964 with Malta's independence.
- Mexico - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution Monday, 16 July, 2018Exercise increased caution in Mexico due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory. Violent crime, such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery, is widespread. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico as U.S. government employees are prohibited from travel […]
- Iceland - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Friday, 13 July, 2018Exercise normal precautions in Iceland. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Iceland: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Review the […]
- Nepal Monday, 23 July, 2018Latest update: Entry requirements section - revised information on visas; overstaying a visa can result in a fine of up to 50,000 Nepali Rupees and/or deportation; Local laws and customs section - addition of information; the import of precious metals is strictly regulated; foreign nationals are permitted to carry gold ornaments up to 50 grams […]GOV.UK
- Italy Monday, 23 July, 2018Latest update: Summary - removal of information about strike action affecting transport over the weekend of 21 to 22 JulyGOV.UK
Work of Art
This flared Paris porcelain vase mounted on a gilt bronze stand (museum number 463-1844) is painted with a profusion of brightly-coloured flowers dramatically set off against a completely gilded background. It is most probably bought from the Escalier de Cristal retailer Lahoche, Boin & Cie at the 1844 French Industrial Exhibition. The acquisition of this vase actually pre-dated the building of the South Kensington Museum, which is where it is presently.
- a ballpark figure | a ballpark estimateIf you give a ballpark figure or a ballpark estimate, you give a number which you think is fairly close to the actual one.
Pray for Christians in China
AMERICAN PASTOR IMPRISONED FOR WORK IN MYANMAR. Click on image for more information.