Translate This Blog:
- 2 Corinthians 7:1 Thursday, 16 August, 2018“Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.”
Great Basin National Park
Most Viewed Posts
- Extreme Temperatures Likely For Next 4 Years posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 | under Earth Science
- The Cetus Constellation posted on Friday, 16 February, 2018 | under Astronomy
- Perils And Benefits Of Overconfidence posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 | under Psychology
- Heatwave Reveals Lost UK Archaeological Sites posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 | under Humanities
- World’s Most Liveable Cities 2018 posted on Wednesday, 15 August, 2018 | under Humanities
Search This Blog
Bits & Pieces of World NewsMy Tweets
Koreans Divided By War Prepare To Meet Family
Astronomy Picture of the Day
NGC 7380: The Wizard Nebula.
Image Credit & Copyright: Rolf Geissinger. Located only 8,000 light years away, the Wizard nebula surrounds developing open star cluster NGC 7380. Visually, the interplay of stars, gas, and dust has created a shape that appears to some like a fictional medieval sorcerer. The active star forming region spans 100 about light years, making it appear larger than the angular extent of the Moon. The Wizard Nebula can be located towards the constellation of the King of Aethiopia (Cepheus). Although the nebula may last only a few million years, some of the stars being formed may outlive our Sun.
- NASA Awards Contract for Construction of New Research Support Building Monday, 13 August, 2018NASA has selected Walsh Construction Company II, LLC of Chicago to build a new Research Support Building (RSB) at the agency’s Glenn Research Center in Cleveland.
- NASA, ULA Launch Parker Solar Probe on Historic Journey to Touch Sun Sunday, 12 August, 2018Hours before the rise of the very star it will study, NASA’s Parker Solar Probe launched from Florida Sunday to begin its journey to the Sun, where it will undertake a landmark mission. The spacecraft will transmit its first science observations in December, beginning a revolution in our understanding of the star that makes life […]
- Meet the People Behind NASA's InSight Mars Lander Thursday, 2 August, 2018A series of NASA videos highlight scientists and engineers leading the next mission to Mars.
- Mars Terraforming Not Possible Using Present-Day Technology Monday, 30 July, 2018Transforming the inhospitable Martian environment into a place astronauts could explore without life support is not possible without technology well beyond today’s capabilities.
The Human Brain
The attention span of the human brain is getting shorter. We have lost almost four seconds of our attention span in the past 15 years. This means we cannot concentrate on a thing for more than 8 seconds on an average.
- Travel to Cuba with APA, applications due Aug. 30 Thursday, 16 August, 2018The International Learning Partner Program is open to psychologists and graduates students of psychology who are interested in building professional collaborations with colleagues in the Caribbean.
- American youth face unequal health risk Wednesday, 15 August, 2018The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report reveals stark disparities among vulnerable groups.
Japanese Spider Crab
- Why you should be watching California in September Wednesday, 15 August, 2018At the Global Climate Action Summit in California, non-state actors will work to make the commitments necessary to avert the worst effects of climate change.Shyla Raghav
- In case you missed it: 3 big stories from our world, World Elephant Day edition Tuesday, 14 August, 2018Human Nature shares three stories from the past week that you should know about in honor of World Elephant Day.Jessica Pink
The Kayapo are an indigenous people in Brazil, from the plain islands of the Mato Grosso and Pará in Brazil, south of the Amazon Basin and along Rio Xingu and its tributaries. They call themselves "Mebengokre," which means "people of the wellspring." In 2010, there was an estimated 8,638 Kayapos. Subgroups include the Xikrin, Gorotire, Mekranoti and Metyktire. Their villages typically consist of a dozen huts.
- Alert - Polio in Papua New Guinea Monday, 13 August, 2018There is an outbreak of polio in Papua New Guinea. CDC recommends that all travelers to Papua New Guinea be fully vaccinated against polio.
- Watch - Ebola in Democratic Republic of the Congo Wednesday, 8 August, 2018There is an outbreak of Ebola in North Kivu (Kivu Nord) province in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- Lebanon eases birth registration rules for Syrian refugees Thursday, 16 August, 2018Source: UN High Commissioner for Refugees Country: Lebanon, Syrian Arab Republic The Lebanese government waived the one year timeframe for Syrian refugee children born between January 2011 and February 2018, allowing parents to register births without going to court.New rules remove need for costly court process for unregistered births, easing access to education, health and […]
- Children returned to Central America and Mexico at heightened risk of violence, stigma and deprivation - UNICEF Thursday, 16 August, 2018Source: UN Children's Fund Country: El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, United States of America, World Extreme violence, poverty and lack of opportunity are not only powerful drivers of irregular child migration from northern Central America and Mexico, but also consequences of deportations. Children returned to Central America and Mexico at heightened risk of violence, stigma […]
National Flag of the Mauritius
The national flag of Mauritius, also known as the Four Bands and Les Quatre Bandes, was adopted upon independence, March 12, 1968. It consists of four horizontal bands of equal width, coloured (from top to bottom) red, blue, yellow, and green. Red represents the struggle for freedom and independence.n Blue represents the Indian Ocean, in the middle of which Mauritius is situated. Yellow represents the new light of independence. Green represents the agriculture of Mauritius and its colour throughout the 12 months of the year.
- Mali - Level 4: Do Not Travel Monday, 13 August, 2018Do not travel to Mali due to crime and terrorism. Violent crime, such as kidnapping and armed robbery, is common in the regions of northern and central Mali. Violent crime is a particular concern during local holidays and seasonal events in Bamako, its suburbs, and Mali’s southern regions. Roadblocks and random police checkpoints are commonplace […]
- Bolivia - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Thursday, 9 August, 2018Exercise normal precautions in Bolivia. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Bolivia: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Review the […]
- Greece Thursday, 16 August, 2018Latest update: Summary - removal of information on AEK Athens v Celtic FC Champions League match in Athens on 14 AugustGOV.UK
- Finland Thursday, 16 August, 2018Latest update: Summary - addition of information; political protests are planned in the city of Turku on Saturday 18 August; you should follow local media and avoid demonstrations or other large gatheringsGOV.UK
Work of Art
Known as “the prehistoric Sistine Chapel,” the Lascaux Caves, a cave complex in southwestern France, contain some of the most remarkable palaeolithic cave paintings in the world, from at least 15,000 years ago. The cave was discovered on 12 September 1940 by four teenagers, Marcel Ravidat, Jacques Marsal, Georges Agnel, and Simon Coencas, as well as Ravidat’s dog, Robot. Public access was made easier after World War II. By 1955, the carbon dioxide produced by 1,200 visitors per day had visibly damaged the paintings. The cave was closed to the public in 1963 in order to preserve the art.
- come to your sensesIf you come to your senses, you see things clearly and begin to act sensibly after a period of confusion and unwise behaviour.
Pray for Christians in Egypt
POLICE THWART SUICIDE ATTACK ON CHURCH. Click on image for more information.