Translate This Blog:
- Psalm 119:7 Wednesday, 18 July, 2018“I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws.”
Grand Teton National Park
Most Viewed Posts
- All About A Nuclear War posted on Wednesday, 18 July, 2018 | under Humanitarian
- Lucky House, Hong Kong’s Coffin Homes posted on Wednesday, 30 August, 2017 | under Humanitarian
- UY Scuti, The Largest Known Star posted on Friday, 7 October, 2016 | under Astronomy
- How Do Fizzy Drinks Affect Your Health? posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 | under Medicine
- France’s Cantal Holiday Guide posted on Wednesday, 18 July, 2018 | under Humanities
Search This Blog
Bits & Pieces of World NewsMy Tweets
Astronomy Picture of the Day
Dark Slope Streaks Split on Mars.
Image Credit: HiRISE, MRO, LPL (U. Arizona), NASA. What is creating these dark streaks on Mars? No one is sure. It could be dust avalanches, evaporating dry ice sledges, and liquid water flows. What is clear is that the streaks occur through the light surface dust and expose a deeper dark layer. Similar streaks have been photographed on Mars for years and are one of the few surface features that change their appearance seasonally. Particularly interesting here is that larger streaks split into smaller streaks further down the slope. The featured image was taken by the HiRISE camera onboard the Mars-orbiting Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).
- Students from Missouri, Mississippi to Call Space Station Friday, 13 July, 2018Students in St. Louis and southern Mississippi will get to ask questions of NASA astronauts on the International Space Station during two events next week as part of NASA’s Year of Education on Station.
- NASA Mars Mission Adds Southern California Dates Tuesday, 26 June, 2018Looking for summer fun? Southern California families have their choice of the beach, movies, museums -- and even NASA's next mission to Mars.
The Human Brain
If you starve your brain for oxygen for five minutes, the brain may get damaged.
- APA Fellows Committee issues call for nominations Wednesday, 18 July, 2018Committee seeks nominations for two new members for a three-year term beginning Jan. 1, 2019.
- In case you missed it: 3 big stories from our world Tuesday, 17 July, 2018In a recurring feature, Human Nature shares three stories from the past week that you should know about.Jessica Pink
The Pataxó are an indigenous people with a population of about 11,800 individuals. They once spoke the Pataxó language, but now speak Portuguese. The Pataxó people live in several villages in the southern part of the state of Bahia and northern of the state of Minas Gerais. There is evidence that the village of Barra Velha has existed for nearly two and a half centuries since 1767. Tracing a history of contact with non-indigenous people that goes back to the sixteenth century and often forced to hide their customs, nowadays the Pataxó strive to enliven their language - the Patxohã - and rituals "of the ancient"
- Green alert for tropical cyclone TWELVE-18. Population affected by Category 1 (120 km/h) wind speeds or higher is 0. Wednesday, 18 July, 2018From 17/07/2018 to 18/07/2018, a Tropical Depression (maximum wind speed of 111 km/h) TWELVE-18 was active in NWPacific. The cyclone affects these countries: Japan, China (vulnerability Medium). Estimated population affected by category 1 (120 km/h) wind speeds or higher is 0.
- Watch - Rift Valley Fever in Kenya Tuesday, 17 July, 2018There is an outbreak of Rift Valley fever (RVF) in Kenya. Travelers to Kenya should protect themselves from RVF by avoiding contact with infected animals and preventing mosquito bites.
National Flag of the Mali
The national flag of Mali is a tricolour with three equal vertical stripes. From the hoist, the colours are green, gold, and red, the pan-African colours. The green stands for the fertility of the land, gold stands for purity and mineral wealth, and the red symbolizes the blood shed for independence from the French. The current flag was adopted on March 1, 1961.
- Mexico - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution Monday, 16 July, 2018Exercise increased caution in Mexico due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory. Violent crime, such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery, is widespread. The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico as U.S. government employees are prohibited from travel […]
- Iceland - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Friday, 13 July, 2018Exercise normal precautions in Iceland. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Iceland: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Review the […]
- Iraq Wednesday, 18 July, 2018Latest update: Summary - there are reports of protests and casualties in parts of Baghdad, Basra and other southern governorates; you should avoid large crowds and follow the advice of local authorities; minor editorial amendments to other sectionsGOV.UK
- Saudi Arabia Wednesday, 18 July, 2018Latest update: Pilgrimage section and summary - addition of information on the annual restriction on Muslim visitors flying to Jeddah, Madinah and Taif for reasons other than the Hajj pilgrimage, which applies from 13 July to 25 August 2018; Summary - removal of information about possible protests related to military action taken by the US, […]GOV.UK
Work of Art
This flared Paris porcelain vase mounted on a gilt bronze stand (museum number 463-1844) is painted with a profusion of brightly-coloured flowers dramatically set off against a completely gilded background. It is most probably bought from the Escalier de Cristal retailer Lahoche, Boin & Cie at the 1844 French Industrial Exhibition. The acquisition of this vase actually pre-dated the building of the South Kensington Museum, which is where it is presently.
- a ballpark figure | a ballpark estimateIf you give a ballpark figure or a ballpark estimate, you give a number which you think is fairly close to the actual one.
Pray for Christians in Egypt
THIRD ATTACK AGAINST CHURCH. Click on image for more information.