Translate This Blog:
- Psalm 40:8 Sunday, 21 October, 2018“I desire to do your will, my God; your law is within my heart.””
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Most Viewed Posts Today
Search This Blog
Quote of the Week
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people are so full of doubts. Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970).
Bits & Pieces of World NewsMy Tweets
Tajik is a general designation for a wide range of native Persian-speaking people of Iranian origin, with current traditional homelands in present-day Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Uzbekistan. Not all Tajiks speak a variety of modern Persian. They may speak any one of the extant Iranian languages. For example, the Tajiks of China are actually Pamiris and speak the Eastern Iranian Pamiri languages and are distinct from more western Tajiks. They are concentrated in the Oxus Basin, the Farḡāna valley (Tajikistan and parts of Uzbekistan) and on both banks of the upper Oxus, i.e., the Pamir Mountains (Mountain Badaḵšān, in Tajikistan) and northeastern Afghanistan and western Afghanistan (Badaḵšān, Kābol, Herat, Balkh, Mazar-i-Sharif, Ghazni and other urban regions). Historically, the Tajiks were initially agriculturalists but urbanized rather early in ancient times as indicated by their role in the history of what later became Greater Khorasan. Several surviving ancient urban centres of the Tajik people include Herat, Samarkand, Bukhara, Khujand, and Kabul.
- Alert - Ebola in Democratic Republic of the Congo Friday, 19 October, 2018There is an outbreak of Ebola in the North Kivu (Kivu Nord) and Ituri provinces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
The Human Brain
Brain development is stimulated by reading aloud and talking to young children.
- The state of humanitarian journalism Saturday, 20 October, 2018Source: University of East Anglia Country: World Humanitarian journalism plays a crucial role in how citizens, aid workers and international organisations respond to emergencies. A new report focuses on establishing which topics and crises receive the most and least coverage.By Martin Scott, Kate Wright and Mel Bunce. In this report we present some of the […]
Astronomy Picture of the Day
Young Stars in the Rho Ophiuchi Cloud.
Credit: NASA, JPL-Caltech, WISE Team. Dust clouds and embedded newborn stars glow at infrared wavelengths in this tantalizing false-colour composition from the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer. It is one of the closest star-forming regions of the Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex, some 400 light-years distant near the southern edge of the pronounceable constellation Ophiuchus. After forming along a large cloud of cold molecular hydrogen gas, young stars heat the surrounding dust to produce the infrared glow. Stars in the process of the formation called young stellar objects, are embedded in the compact pinkish nebulae. An exploration of the region in penetrating infrared light has detected emerging and newly formed stars whose average age is estimated to be a mere 300,000 years, which is extremely young compared to the Sun's age of 5 billion years. The prominent reddish nebula at the lower right surrounding the star Sigma Scorpii is a reflection nebula produced by dust scattering starlight. This view covers about 14 light-years at the estimated distance of the Rho Ophiuchi cloud.
- NASA Invites Media to Northrop Grumman Cygnus Launch from Virginia Wednesday, 17 October, 2018Media accreditation now is open for the launch from Virginia of Northrop Grumman’s 10th commercial resupply services mission to deliver NASA science investigations, supplies and equipment to the International Space Station aboard its Cygnus spacecraft.
- Scientists to Debate Landing Site for Next Mars Rover Monday, 15 October, 2018Hundreds of scientists and Mars-exploration enthusiasts gather this week to present, discuss and deliberate the future landing site for NASA's next Red Planet.
The Bush Viper
- We’re in a global water crisis. It’s time to turn to nature Tuesday, 16 October, 2018Freshwater supply is ranked third out of the top 10 global risks for humanity.Sophie Bertazzo
National Flag of Myanmar
The current flag of Myanmar was adopted on 21 October 2010. The new flag was introduced along with implementing changes to the country's name, which were laid out in the 2008 Constitution. The design of the flag has three horizontal stripes of yellow, green and red with a five-pointed white star in the middle. The three colours of the stripes are meant to symbolise solidarity, peace and tranquility, and courage and decisiveness. The white star that symbolised the Union of Burma.
- Suriname - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Friday, 19 October, 2018Exercise normal precautions in Suriname. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Suriname: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Review the Crime […]
- Taiwan Sunday, 21 October, 2018Latest Update: Summary - update following train crash in Yilan County on 21 OctoberGOV.UK
Work of Art
The Elgin Marbles are a collection of Classical Greek marble sculptures made under the supervision of Phidias and his assistants in c. 447 to 438 BC; originally part of the temple of the Parthenon. From 1801 to 1812, agents of Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin removed about half of the surviving sculptures and transported them to Britain. The half not removed is now displayed in the Acropolis Museum. In Britain, the acquisition of the collection was not supported by some, and the Earl's actions was likened to vandalism. Following a public debate in Parliament and its subsequent exoneration of Elgin, he sold the Marbles to the British government in 1816. They were then passed to the British Museum, where they are now on display in the purpose-built Duveen Gallery.
- set your sights onIf you set your sights on something, or set your sights on doing something, it becomes the target of your ambition or the object of your attention.
Pray for Christians in Nigeria
CHRISTIAN TRIBAL LEADER KIDNAPPED AND HIS ENTOURAGE KILLED. Click on the image to read more.