WHAT TO READ NEXT:
Translate This Blog Into Your Own Language Here:
I Am That I Am
Our world's needs are enormous, and at times, overwhelming. We need to view them through God's compassionate eyes and heart. One of this Blog's aim is to bring a few of these intractable issues to our awareness for prayer, and if necessary, action.
- 1 Corinthians 1:4-5 Tuesday, 21 November, 2017“[Thanksgiving] I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge—”
Singapore Time +8 UTC
2017 Upcoming National Holidays
- 23: Thanksgiving Day (USA)
- 21: December Solstice
- 25: Christmas Day (Singapore, USA)
Most Popular Posts Today
- Who Are The Neo-Nazis? posted on August 20, 2017 | under Humanities
- Made A Mistake Marrying You posted on November 15, 2017 | under Psychology
- Facial Disfigurement And Disability Hate Crime posted on July 27, 2015 | under Humanitarian
- The Torres del Paine National Park posted on May 10, 2017 | under Humanities
- Bulbophyllum posted on November 22, 2016 | under Horticultural Wonders
- The Giant Squid posted on December 31, 2015 | under All Creatures Great & Small
- UY Scuti, The Largest Known Star posted on October 7, 2016 | under Astronomy
Astronomy Picture of the Day
The Mysterious Rings of Supernova 1987A.
Twenty five years ago, in 1987, the brightest supernova in recent history was seen in the Large Magellanic Cloud. At the centre of the above picture is an object central to the remains of the violent stellar explosion. Surrounding the centre are curious outer rings appearing as a flattened figure 8. Although large telescopes including the Hubble Space Telescope monitor the curious rings every few years, their origin remains a mystery. Pictured above is a Hubble image of the SN1987A remnant taken last year. Speculation into the cause of the rings includes beamed jets emanating from an otherwise hidden neutron star left over from the supernova, and the interaction of the wind from the progenitor star with gas released before the explosion. Image Credit: ESA/Hubble, NASA.
Work of Art
This 900 year-old antique Chinese Northern Song dynasty (960 to 1127 AD) porcelain bowl fetched $38 million at Sotheby’s on 3 October 2017. Blue-green brush washers are shallow porcelain bowls used in ancient China to clean calligraphy and paint brushes. These bowls were fired in the famous kilns of Ruzhou, in the central Chinese province of Henan. The Ru guanyao, or "ice crackle" style of the porcelain bowl is known for the cracked glaze's ability to reflect light; when pieces are pulled from kiln fires, and the different contractions of the pottery and the glaze cause cracks during the cooling process. Since 1940, only six Ru ceramics have appeared at auctions.
Bits & Pieces of World News TodayMy Tweets
- Is Merkel Done? Monday, 20 November, 2017Wolfgang Munchau, Financial TimesFailed coalition talks severely dent her leadership prospects, writes Wolfgang Mnchau
Koryaks are an indigenous people of the Russian Far East, who live north of the Kamchatka Peninsula and the coastlands of the Bering Sea. The Koryak language is part of the Chukotko-Kamchatkan language family. The coastal Koryak lifestyle is based on local fishing and marine mammal hunting. The inland Koryaks are reindeer herders and are more nomadic, following the herds as they graze with the seasons. According to the 2010 Russian census, there were 7,953 Koryaks.
- Green earthquake alert (Magnitude 6M, Depth:6km) in Wallis and Futuna 20/11/2017 18:51 UTC, No people within 100km. Monday, 20 November, 2017On 11/20/2017 6:51:07 PM, an earthquake occurred in Wallis and Futuna potentially affecting No people within 100km. The earthquake had Magnitude 6M, Depth:6km.
National Flag of Iceland
The flag of Iceland was officially adopted on June 19, 1915. The cross design is modelled after the Danish flag. The colour red is said to symbolise the island's active volcanoes; white the ice and snow that covers most of the country, and blue is symbolic of the surrounding Atlantic Ocean.
- Watch - Mumps in New Zealand Thursday, 16 November, 2017Public health officials in New Zealand have reported an outbreak of mumps. CDC recommends that travelers to New Zealand protect themselves by making sure they are vaccinated against mumps.
- Alert - Hurricanes Irma and Maria in the Caribbean Tuesday, 14 November, 2017Beginning on September 6, 2017, Hurricane Irma crossed the Caribbean, followed on September 16 by Hurricane Maria. These storms caused severe damage in a number of countries and territories, including Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the British Virgin Islands, Cuba, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Martin, Sint […]
- Watch - Measles in Indonesia Monday, 13 November, 2017Health officials in Australia, Canada, and Taiwan have reported several cases of measles in travelers returning from Indonesia, including the island of Bali. CDC recommends that travelers to Indonesia protect themselves by making sure they are vaccinated against measles.
- North Korea Travel Warning Friday, 10 November, 2017The Department of State strongly warns U.S. citizens not to travel to North Korea/the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).Due to the serious and mounting risk of arrest and long-term detention of U.S. citizens, effective September 1, 2017, U.S. passports were invalidated for travel into, in, or through North Korea. Persons who wish to travel […]
- Niger Travel Warning Monday, 30 October, 2017The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Niger due to terrorist activity, kidnappings, and high crime.The Department recommends U.S. citizens avoid travel to Niger’s border regions, particularly the Malian border area, the Libyan border area, the Diffa region, and Lake Chad Basin area because of activity by various […]
- Venezuela Travel Warning Tuesday, 24 October, 2017The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Venezuela due to concerns regarding violent crime, pervasive food and medicine shortages, and social unrest.Effective October 23, 2017, ordered departure of eligible family members of U.S. government personnel posted to the U.S. Embassy in Caracas and authorized departure of U.S. direct-hire government personnel was […]
Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Belgium Tuesday, 21 November, 2017Summary – there may be increased security in place over the Christmas and New Year period, including at Christmas markets and other major events that might attract large crowds; you should remain vigilant and follow the advice of local authoritiesGOV.UK
- France Tuesday, 21 November, 2017Summary – there may be increased security in place over the Christmas and New Year period, including at Christmas markets and other major events that might attract large crowds; you should remain vigilant and follow the advice of local authoritiesGOV.UK
- Turkmenistan Tuesday, 21 November, 2017Latest update: Safety and security section (Telephones) - the Russian mobile network provider MTS has suspended its mobile phone and internet service in Turkmenistan; the one remaining provider Altyn Asyr doesn't offer a roaming service and the quality of the network is low; Summary - removal of information about car-free days in Ashgabat in September […]GOV.UK
- Travel Notice for Belgium [Updated: 20 November 2017] Sunday, 19 November, 2017Belgium’s National Terrorism Threat Level remains at three out of four, which indicates a significant and probable threat in Belgium.
- Travel Advisory for Yemen [Updated: 20 November 2017] Sunday, 19 November, 2017The armed conflict in Yemen is on-going. The humanitarian situation is still dire and it remains difficult to leave Yemen. Overland evacuation is fraught with security risks and uncertainties. There are also delays at the land borders due to stricter border controls imposed by neighbouring countries.
- Overseas Travel - Be Informed & Be Safe [18 November 2017] Friday, 17 November, 2017
The above-mentioned health notices and travel advices only indicate the most recent announcements. To see their complete lists, click on the respective government department’s (orange) heading.
The Human Brain
Your brain starts slowing down at the ripe old age of 24, but peaks for different cognitive skills at different ages. In fact, at any given age, you’re likely getting better at some things and worse at others. An extreme case is vocabulary skills which may peak as late as the early 70s!
- A psychological scientist goes to Washington Tuesday, 21 November, 2017More than 350 advocates and organizations met with Congress to urge for increased medical research funding.
- Boosting brain's 'executive center' may prevent anxiety Tuesday, 21 November, 2017New research finds that stimulating activity in the brain's dorsolateral prefrontal cortex protects against symptoms of depression and mood disorders.
Leafy Sea Dragon
- Great Green Macaws: The Aston-Martin of the Bird World Monday, 20 November, 2017There are 19 species of macaws in the world, and these birds are among the most well recognized (worldwide) among all parrots. Dr. Sam Williams, the director of the Costa Rica based conservation group The Ara Project, works with two species of macaws, the well-known scarlet macaw and the little known great green macaw.Randy
- Seaweed Sorting? There’s Now an App for That! Thursday, 16 November, 2017“What is that squishy brown stuff on the rock?” – said every tidepool enthusiast ever. Just in time for the low winter tides, the brilliant minds of the Martone Lab out of University of British Columbia have come to the rescue (just in case you needed one more reason to love Canadia). With over 100 different […]Alex Warneke
- abetThe Buzzword of the Day for 11/21/2017 is:abet (verb) \uh-BET\ What does it mean? : to actively encourage or aidHow do you use it? The thief's sister was charged with aiding and abetting her brother to make his getaway. Are you a word wiz? What do you think the root word that gave us "abet" […]
Gregory of Sinai on the New Man In Christ
If we do not learn what we were created by God, we shall not know what we have become through sin.
- China Tells Christians to Replace Images of Jesus with Communist PresidentPropaganda effort in poor province latest sign of Xi Jinping consolidating control. Thousands of Christian villagers in China have been told to take down displays of Jesus, crosses, and gospel passages from their homes as part of a government propaganda effort to “transform believers in religion into believers in the party.” The South China Morning […]Kate Shellnutt
Pray for Christians in Syria
CONTINUING PERSECUTION & FORCED RECRUITMENT PREVENTING BELIEVERS RETURNING TO ALEPPO. Click on the image to access more information.
Pray for the Persecuted Church
Click on the image to access Facebook's ICHTHUS page for further information.