Translate This Blog:
- Isaiah 40:31 Saturday, 23 June, 2018“but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
Grand Canyon National Park
Most Viewed Posts
- Sex Offenders Groom Churches Too posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 | under Humanitarian
- One Of America’s Coolest Cities: Eugene, Oregon posted on Thursday, 11 January, 2018 | under Humanities
- Juno Probe Completed 10th Science Flyby Of Jupiter posted on Tuesday, 13 February, 2018 | under Astronomy
- The Pantanal, Brazil’s Spectacular Wetland posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 | under Environment
- Engraved Hourglass Nebula posted on Friday, 17 October, 2014 | under Astronomy
- Is Brain Chip Implants The Next Mental Health Breakthrough? posted on Thursday, 9 March, 2017 | under The Brain & Genetics
- Sweet Alyssum posted on Sunday, 19 November, 2017 | under Horticultural Wonders
Search This Blog
Bits & Pieces of World NewsMy Tweets
Astronomy Picture of the Day
The Rippled Red Ribbons of SNR 0509.
Credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA); Acknowledgment: J. Hughes (Rutgers U). The ripples of supernova remnant SNR 0509-67.5, as well as the greater nebula, were imaged in unprecedented detail by the Hubble Space Telescope in 2006 and again late 2011. The red colour was recoded by a Hubble filter that left only the light emitted by energetic hydrogen. The precise reason for the ripples remains unknown, with two considered hypotheses relating them to relatively dense portions of either ejected or impacted gas. The reason for the broader red glowing ring is more clear, with expansion speed and light echoes relating it to a classic Type Ia supernova explosion that must have occurred about 400 years earlier. SNR 0509 currently spans about 23 light years and lies about 160,000 light years away toward the constellation of the dolphinfish (Dorado) in the Large Magellanic Cloud. The expanding ring carries with it another great mystery: why wasn't this supernova seen 400 years ago when light from the initial blast should have passed the Earth?
- Media Invited to Preview Expedition to Ocean Twilight Zone Friday, 22 June, 2018Media are invited to Seattle on Thursday, Aug. 9, to preview a seaborne expedition to study microscopic organisms in the dark depths of the sea that play a critical role in removing carbon dioxide from Earth’s atmosphere.
- Curiosity Captures Photos of Thickening Dust Wednesday, 20 June, 2018A storm of tiny dust particles has engulfed much of Mars over the last two weeks.
The Human Brain
The human brain is the fattiest organ in the body. It contains 60% fat out of its total weight of 3 pounds.
- Education blog news roundup Friday, 22 June, 2018Marshmallow study roasted, good news for internship seekers and more in this week's news roundup.
- A Message from the Top of the World Monday, 18 June, 2018The snow crunched under his boots with each step as Yun pushed towards the summit ridge. Around him the Himalayas stretched out in jagged white peaks and valleys. At nearly 30,000 feet—the cruising altitude of a commercial airliner—he was high enough to see wisps of clouds drifting below him. It was 8am on May 18th, […]Pooja
The Blackfoot Indians were a nation of American Indians with four distinctive tribes, one in Montana and the other in Alberta, Canada. Fierce buffalo hunters, this nomadic tribe followed their food source. With no experience in pottery, crafts or agriculture, they relied on the land. While natural food sources and small subsidized, the buffalo were their main source of food, clothing, shelter, tools and weapons. Today the surviving heirs still live on much of the Montana land they had long ago.
- Green earthquake alert (Magnitude 5.5M, Depth:16.58km) in Solomon Is. 23/06/2018 00:33 UTC, About 73000 people within 100km. Saturday, 23 June, 2018On 6/23/2018 12:33:38 AM, an earthquake occurred in Solomon Is. potentially affecting About 73000 people within 100km. The earthquake had Magnitude 5.5M, Depth:16.58km.
- Watch - Ebola in Democratic Republic of the Congo Friday, 8 June, 2018An outbreak of Ebola is occurring in the Bikoro area, Equateur province in the northwest corner of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Cases have also been found in nearby Iboko and the large city of Mbandaka.
National Flag of Malaysia
The flag of Malaysia is composed of a field of 14 alternating red and white stripes along the fly and a blue canton bearing a crescent and a 14-point star known as the Bintang Persekutuan (Federal Star). The 14 stripes, of equal width, represent the equal status in the federation of the 13 member states and the federal territories, while the 14 points of the star represent the unity between these entities. The crescent represents Islam, the country's state religion; the blue canton symbolises the unity of the Malaysian people; the yellow of the star and crescent is the royal colour of the Malay rulers. It was first raised on 16 September 1963.
- Germany - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution Tuesday, 19 June, 2018Exercise increased caution in Germany due to terrorism. Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Germany. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas. Read the […]
- Belarus - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions Monday, 18 June, 2018Exercise normal precautions in Belarus. Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page. If you decide to travel to Belarus: Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Review the […]
- Ethiopia Saturday, 23 June, 2018Summary: Addis Ababa: Saturday 23 June: A large rally in support of Ethiopian Prime Minister, Dr Abiy Ahmed, was disrupted by a grenade attack, resulting in c80 injured, some seriously. Minor incidents were reported as crowds dispersed, but the streets are now mostly calm. We encourage visitors to continue to follow our advice below on […]GOV.UK
- South Africa Friday, 22 June, 2018Latest update: Safety and Security section (Crime) - revised information; risk of crime increases in urban areas, particularly central business districts of major cities and townships on the outskirts of major cities; a higher state of awareness is required if travelling through these areasGOV.UK
Work of Art
This flared Paris porcelain vase mounted on a gilt bronze stand (museum number 463-1844) is painted with a profusion of brightly-coloured flowers dramatically set off against a completely gilded background. It is most probably bought from the Escalier de Cristal retailer Lahoche, Boin & Cie at the 1844 French Industrial Exhibition. The acquisition of this vase actually pre-dated the building of the South Kensington Museum, which is where it is presently.
- a new lease on lifeIf someone has a new lease on life, they have a new enthusiasm for living.
- The Family Feud that Changed the Shape of Christian Higher Education Thursday, 17 May, 2018What makes a college “evangelical” or “fundamentalist?” The dividing lines weren’t always so clear. Let’s say you attended Wheaton College, Gordon College, or Biola University. Or perhaps you’re an outsider who just thinks highly of those schools. If so, you might be turned off by a book that groups them together under the label “Fundamentalist […]Barry Hankins
Pray for Christians in Turkey
STATE RHETORIC INCREASES CHALLENGES FACED BY BELIEVERS. Click on image for more information.