Reflection: 1 Thessalonians 2: 1 – 12 This Epistle was a follow-up after the hasty departure on Paul’s earlier church-planting visit (2:17; Acts 17:1-9). Written in A.D. 50 in Corinth, after he received Timothy’s reassuring report on the Thessalonica church, its intent was to encourage the young believers facing persecutionContinue reading
Translate This Website Into Your Language
Afrikaans Albanian Amharic Arabic Armenian Azerbaijani Basque Belarusian Bengali Bosnian Bulgarian Catalan Cebuano Chichewa Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Traditional) Corsican Croatian Czech Danish Dutch English Esperanto Estonian Filipino Finnish French Frisian Galician Georgian German Greek Gujarati Haitian Creole Hausa Hawaiian Hebrew Hindi Hmong Hungarian Icelandic Igbo Indonesian Irish Italian Japanese Javanese Kannada Kazakh Khmer Korean Kurdish (Kurmanji) Kyrgyz Lao Latin Latvian Lithuanian Luxembourgish Macedonian Malagasy Malay Malayalam Maltese Maori Marathi Mongolian Myanmar (Burmese) Nepali Norwegian Pashto Persian Polish Portuguese Punjabi Romanian Russian Samoan Scottish Gaelic Serbian Sesotho Shona Sindhi Sinhala Slovak Slovenian Somali Spanish Sudanese Swahili Swedish Tajik Tamil Telugu Thai Turkish Ukrainian Urdu Uzbek Vietnamese Welsh Xhosa Yiddish Yoruba Zulu
- James 1:12 Saturday, 23 March, 2019“Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
Isle Royale National Park
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: It’s Not Whether You Get Knocked Down, It’s Whether You Get Up. Vince Lombardi (1913 – 1970).
Most Viewed Posts Today
Search This Blog
Safely Explore This Blog
Current Bits & Pieces of News
THE HUMAN BRAIN: The cerebral cortex in humans is one of the most evolved and complex among all animal species. It’s not only bigger, but it’s also rolled and folded back over itself, forming grooves and folds which gives it that characteristic wrinkled appearance. The human encephalon weighs about 1.4-1.5 kilos, and has a volume of about 1130 cc in women and 1260 cc in men.
- Warning - Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe Friday, 22 March, 2019Parts of Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe have been severely affected by Tropical Cyclone Idai. US residents should avoid nonessential travel to Beira City and the surrounding area in Mozambique. Travelers to other affected parts of Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe should take steps to prevent illness and injury.
- Alert - Drug-Resistant Infections in Patients Who Had Weight-Loss Surgery in Mexico Friday, 15 March, 2019Some US residents returning from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, have been diagnosed with infections caused by an antibiotic-resistant form of Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteria. (weight loss surgery, bariatric, Tijuana, Mexico, Grand View Hospital, VIM, carbapenemase)
ASTRONOMY PICTURE OF THE DAY: Westerlund 2. Credit: X-ray; Y.Nazé, G.Rauw, J.Manfroid (Université de Liège), CXC, NASA. Infrared; E.Churchwell (University of Wisconsin), JPL, Caltech, NASA. Dusty stellar nursery RCW 49 surrounds young star cluster Westerlund 2 in this composite skyscape towards the southern constellation Centaurus. Westerlund 2 is a mere 2 million years old and contains some of our galaxy’s most luminous, massive and short-lived stars. At the cluster’s estimated distance of 20,000 light-years, the square marking the Chandra field of view would be about 50 light-years on a side.
- NASA Mission Reveals Asteroid Has Big Surprises Tuesday, 19 March, 2019A NASA spacecraft that will return a sample of a near-Earth asteroid named Bennu to Earth in 2023 made the first-ever close-up observations of particle plumes erupting from an asteroid’s surface.
- NASA Television to Air Three Upcoming Spacewalks, Preview Briefing Friday, 15 March, 2019Four astronauts are preparing for their first spacewalks outside the International Space Station, scheduled for March 22, March 29 and April 8.
Black Spider Monkey
- Protecting Africa’s oceans to secure our futures Wednesday, 20 March, 2019Jessica Donovan-Allen, senior director of Conservation International Liberia, discusses why ocean conservation is vital in western Africa.Jessica Donovan-Allen
- Climate strikes, sage grouse, polluting floods: 3 big stories you might have missed Tuesday, 19 March, 2019Human Nature shares three stories from the past week that you should know about.Olivia DeSmit
IMAGO DEI: Igorot is the collective name of several Austronesian ethnic group who inhabit the six Philippines provinces of the Cordillera Administrative Region: Abra, Apayao, Benguet, Ifugao, Mountain Province, and Nueva Vizcaya. Their culture is well-preserved as they had defended their land against the Spaniards. They Igorots are divided into two subgroups: the larger group in the south, central and western areas, and very adept at rice-terrace farming; a smaller group lives in the east and north.
- Ukraine - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution Thursday, 21 March, 2019Exercise increased caution in Ukraine due to crime, civil unrest and elections. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory. Do not travel to: Crimea due to arbitrary detentions and other abuses by Russian occupation authorities. The eastern parts of the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts, especially the non-government-controlled areas, due to armed conflict. Crime […]
- Comoros - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution Thursday, 21 March, 2019Exercise increased caution in The Union of the Comoros due to the upcoming presidential election. Comoros will hold elections on March 24, 2019, and April 21, 2019, if a run-off election is warranted. Travel within Comoros may be disrupted during these times by roadblocks and political demonstrations. From March 21-March […]
THE FLAG OF PORTUGAL: The flag is a rectangular bicolour with a field unevenly divided into green on the hoist, and red on the fly. The lesser version of the national coat of arms (i.e. armillary sphere and Portuguese shield) is centred over the colour boundary at equal distance from the upper and lower edges. On 30 June 1911, less than a year after the downfall of the constitutional monarchy, this design was officially adopted. The green and red represent the hope of the nation (green) and the blood of those who died defending it.
- Denmark Friday, 22 March, 2019Summary: Removal of advice regarding the demonstration around Chistianborg Slotsplads in Copenhagen on 22 MarchGOV.UK
- North Macedonia Friday, 22 March, 2019Latest update: Health section - updated information on documents needed to receive free emergency treatment under the reciprocal healthcare agreementGOV.UK
WORK OF ART: American Gothic is a 1930 painting by Grant Wood in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. The painting depicted the American Gothic House in Eldon, Iowa, along with “the kind of people I fancied should live in that house;” a farmer standing beside a woman who has been interpreted to be his sister. The figures were modelled by Wood’s sister, Nan Wood Graham, and their dentist, Dr Byron McKeeby. American Gothic is one of the most familiar images in 20th-century American pop art scene.
- have your work cut out (for you)If you have your work cut out for you, you have a difficult task to do or a challenging situation to face.